Dr Tom Muskett
- Position: Lecturer in Psychology
- Areas of expertise: dialogic teaching; inclusive assessment; critical community psychology; critical pedagogy; qualitative and participatory methods.
- Email: T.Muskett@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: G06a School of Psychology
I joined the University of Leeds as a Curriculum Redefined Lecturer in June 2022.
My background is in Speech and Language Therapy, and it was my experiences of this profession that led me to complete a PhD in Critical Social Psychology at the University of Sheffield (2008), which focused on re-thinking interactions between adults and children with diagnoses of autism.
During subsequent lectureships at the Department of Human Communication Sciences, University of Sheffield (2009-2015) and the Psychology Group, Leeds Beckett University (2015-2021), I then began to develop a significant interest in the development of effective and relationship-based teaching and learning approaches, influenced theoretically and practically by ideas from frameworks such as critical pedagogy.
I continue to develop these interests at Leeds, with a particular focus on working with groups of students who may typically be marginalised within educational systems.
- PgCert Learning and Teaching
- PhD Discursive Psychology and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- MMedSci Clinical Communication Studies
- BSc (Joint Hons) Psychology, Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy