Dr. J. Ryan Morehead
- Position: University Academic Fellow in Immersive Technologies
- Areas of expertise: Motor Learning; Visuomotor Control; Skill Acquisition; Computational Models of Motor Learning; Cognitive Neuroscience; Neuroscience Methods; EMG; Virtual Reality; Augmented Reality
- Email: J.R.Morehead@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.11 School of Psychology
- Website: Immersive Cognition Lab | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
Dr. Morehead is a cognitive neuroscientist specializing in motor control and sensorimotor learning in immersive virtual environments. Before joining the faculty at Leeds, he completed his doctorate at the University of California, Berkeley in Richard Ivry’s laboratory and postdoctoral research at Harvard University under Maurice Smith. He is co-director of the Immersive Cognition lab in the School of Psychology.
- co-director of the Immersive Cognition Laboratory
- Member of the Centre for Immersive Technologies
- Michael Beverly Innovation Fellow
Morehead’s research focuses on the interaction of high-level cognitive processes with their low-level motor control counterparts during learning, with sensorimotor adaptation of reaching and de novo skill acquisition as a central focus. His approach incorporates psychophysical and kinematic analyses with neurophysiological techniques (EMG and EEG) and computational modeling of the neural processes involved in these tasks. He also works with neurological patient populations, such as cerebellar ataxia or Parkinson’s disease, to better understand these impairments.
- Society for the Neural Control of Movement
- Society for Neuroscience