Miss Essie Kaur
My developing expertise is on a range novel organisational behaviour, culture and leadership theories in healthcare services, systems and workforces. My key focus and aims include developing novel psychological- and behaviour- based interventions for improving employee mental health, communication and performance. Notbaly, I use my research expertise and empirical work to inform healthcare systems and services; training and development practices; workforce support and policy in practice (e.g., identifying which interventions can reduce healthcare staff burnout and improve retention). As a result on my on-going doctoral training, I am skilled in a variety of advanced statistical and specialist qualitative methods, techniques and analyses, as I often undertake mixed methods research.
One of my primary research streams investigates the process of breaking bad or unexpected news in healthcare contexts. I am conducting this work with Dr Johnson at the Univeristy of Leeds based on her previour research, which suggests that news delivery is a frequent but challenging occurence for healthcare professionals. INDIRA Coach is being piloted as a multi-phase project to evalute whether communication coaching could be a useful intervention for healthcare professionals and whether it might improve experiences for both staff and patients in healthcare settings. In addition, I have worked on other projects concerned with the access and quality of staff and volunteer mental health and wellbeing support services; improving patient access and pathways to primary care for allied health services and various research evaluation studies.
Research Groups and Institutes:
- Equality, Diveristy and Inclusion Committee
- Health and Social Psychology Group
- Work, (Un)Employment and Mental Health Group
- Healthcare Services Research
- Mental Health
- Organisational Behaviour, Culture and Leadership in Healthcare Services.
- Voice & Silence Behaviour and Communication theories concerning mental health in healthcare settings.
- Healthcare Interventions to support mental health, workplace wellbeing and alleviate burnout.
- Healthcare Leadership and Staff training and development.