- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Molecular Biolog; Protein chemistry; Transgenics
- Email: A.Asipu@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8427
- Location: 9.15A Wellcome Trust Brenner Building
Dr Aruna Asipu, Senior Research Fellow, Section of Genetics, Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's .Targeting vectors; Mouse models; protein expression, purification and crystal structure;
- Research, Teaching undergraduate and post graduate students.
Structural and biochemical aspects by generating recombinant human proteins using E.coli expression system. Functional aspects by generating knock out mouse models; physiology and mechanisms of diet-induced metabolic disease, Development of novel biological inhibitors. Examples: ketohexokinase, a key enzyme in fructose metabolism; and SAMHD1, a novel regulator in innate immunity.
Dr Chi Trinh, Structural Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds.
Dr Darren Tomlinson, School of Molecular and cellular Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds;
Professor Yanick Crow, Genetic Medicine, University of Manchester.
Professor Richard J Johnson, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, USA;
Professor Mark Kearney, Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine, University of Leeds.
- BSc in Biological Sciences
- Phd in Biochemistry
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA).
- Health & Safety, Member of the Local GMAG safety committee (WTBB, level 9)
Teaching Responsibilities: Undergraduate and Postgraduate student teaching through delivering tutorials and assessing their work.
Undergraduates: MBChB Year 1, Research, Evaluation and Special Studies RESS1. HBM
MBChB Year 1, RESS1. SSRP -Special Studies research project
Supervision of Yr2 Undergraduates SSC 2.1 Literature Review project\n Supervision of Yr3 Undergraduates SSC 3.3 Literature Review project
Supervision of Yr4 Undergraduates SSC 4, Student Selected Components.
Postgraduatee: Supervision of PhD students
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's