Dr John P Ridgway
- Position: Honorary Clinical Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Physics; Cardiovascular MRI
- Email: J.P.Ridgway@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8322
- Location: Division of Medical Physics Worsley Building
I gained my first degree in Mathematical Physics at the University of Edinburgh in 1983 and an MSc in Medical Physics at the University of Aberdeen in 1984. My first post was an NHS research post at the Royal Infirmary, where I gained a PhD in 'In-Vivo Flow Velocity Measurement using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging'.
Since 1990 I have worked at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust where I lead a small team of physicists within the Medical Physics and Engineering department of Leeds teaching Hospitals that supports a wide range of MR imaging research in Cardiovascular, Neurologic Orthopaedic and Oncology applications. My previous research areas include the development of cardiac MR imaging techniques, MR imaging and measurement of blood flow, contrast-enhanced MR angiography and the development of MR methods for imaging musculoskeletal disease. I have a tradition of strong collaborative links with the Division of Medical Physics for both research and teaching activities and our aim as an NHS group is to maintain and strengthen these. We have key collaborative links with the Leeds Cardiac MR Research Unit and the Leeds Biomedical Research Centre. I hold an honorary contract with Leeds University and deliver MR physics teaching to Radiologists, Radiographers and Physicists at FRCR and postgraduate level.
- PhD In vivo blood flow measurement using MRI
- MSc Information Technology (Medical Physics)
- BSc Mathematical Physics
- Insitute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine