Professor Bernadette Drummond
- Position: Professor (Clinical)
- Areas of expertise: paediatric dentistry; cariology; management of dental enamel defects
- Email: B.K.Drummond@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2870
- Location: 6.91b Worsley
I joined the University of Leeds as Clinical Professor in 2017 to lead the Department of Paedaitric Dentistry. I have academic, research and clinical roles.I obtained my dental degree at the University of Otago, New Zealand, my Master degree at the University of Rochester USA and my PhD at the University of Leeds. Until 2017 I was leading the discipline of Paediatric Dentistry at the University of Otago in Dunedin New Zealand.
My research focus is on improving dental care for children, including communication with very young children. Ongoing studies with graduate students include investigation of the longer term clinical outcomes in children who have had early childhood caries, the changing oral biofilm in health and disease in children utilizing metagenomics, structural changes in molar incisor hypomineralisation (MIH), long term clinical management for MIH, measurement of the changing pH in the mouth over 24 hours, oral health of children of parents who are smokers and the knowledge and opinions of parents about oral healthcare for their children. I also have an interest in the impact of probiotics and other novel approaches to improving children’s oral health.
- BDS Otago
- MS Rochester
- PhD Leeds
- FDS RCSEd (Honorous Causum)
- International Association of Paediatric Dentistry
- European Academy of Paedaitric Dentistry
- International Association of Dental Research
- Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry
- British Dental Association
I am involved in didactic and clinical teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes including PhD, and DPaedDent, MSc and MRes which also involve research supervision.
Research groups and institutes
- Translational and clinical research