Dr Maria Horne
- Position: Associate Professor in Community & Public Health
- Areas of expertise: Health promotion; behaviour change; community & public Health; research; mixed methodology; qualitative research; exercise & physical activity; older adult; ethnicity; sexuality & intimacy.
- Email: M.Horne@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1230
- Location: 1.09 Baines Wing
- Website: Googlescholar | ORCID
Maria has worked in primary care, community and public health, in both academic and clinical settings, for over 25 years. Maria's clinical background is in nursing, midwifery and Specialist Community Public Health Nursing practice. Maria has extensive experience in public and service user involvement, working with communities and improving public health. Maria is on the editorial board for Clinical Nursing Research and the British Journal of Community Nursing and is the Section Editor for the Journal of Strategy, Operations and Economics. Maria is a Fellow of and contributes to the work of the European Academy of Nursing Sciences.
Maria's main research theme is the ‘promotion of health and wellbeing across the life course’ and falls under two main themes  Theme 1: Exercise and fragility across the life course - children’s and older adults’ health and well-being - with an emphasis on reducing sedentary time, increasing physical activity levels, promoting active ageing, psychosocial issues that can affect the lives of older adults, self-management of long term conditions , ethnicity and culture, cultural adaptation of interventions and changing health behaviour across the life course – for example for those with long-term conditions, stroke survivors and BME groups  Theme 2: Service delivery and organisation – with an emphasis on specialist public health practice, rehabilitation and delivery of service interventions in primary/secondary care settings, inclusion and diversity. Maria is currently developing research interests in care homes around sexulaity and intimacy. Maria's research expertise is primarily in qualitative and mixed methods research.
Maria is involved in professional advisory work for the NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research; Academy of Finland’s evaluation panel; National Medical Research Council, Ministry of Health (Singapore); the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC); MRC Programme Grants, National Institute for Social Care and Health Research (NISCHR) – Research funding scheme (RFS) Social Care Awards and NIHR Research for Patient Benefit.
- MA (Health Research)
- Dip Community Health Studies
- SCPHN (HV), SCM, RGN
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
- Fellow of the European Academy of Nursing Sciences
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Royal College of Nursing
Research groups and institutes
- Maternal, child and family health