Dr Rabiya Majeed-Ariss
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: child sexual abuse, sexual violence, gender based violence, mental health, learning disabilities, ethnicity and health, health inequalities
- Email: R.Majeed@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1177
- Location: 1.17 Baines Wing
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds as a Research Fellow on the MiMoS project in March 2019. This is a national mixed-method study investigating the effectiveness of Sexual Assault Referral Centres with regard to mental health and substance use.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Leeds in 2011. My PhD focused on understanding self-management of Type 2 Diabetes in black, Asian and minority ethnic groups using a health literacy framework. Subsequently, I have undertaken postdoctoral appointments at the University of Manchester and Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Four of my post-doc projects have involved undertaking research in long-term conditions; all of which employed different methodologies: qualitative in renal, quantitative in urology, systematic reviews in juvenile idiopathic arthritis and priority setting partnership in psoriasis.
For the previous four years I have been at Saint Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre and have developed expertise in the area of sexual assault research through my work on various projects in this domain: mental health, learning disabilities, SARC service-user experience, SARC staff experiences, child sexual abuse and child sexual exploitation.
Sexual violence - vulnerable groups
Psychosocial determinants of health
Research groups and institutes
- Mental health (Healthcare)