Mrs Melanie Barnes
- Position: Lecturer (Midwifery)
- Areas of expertise: Antenatal care, Physiological birth, Communication and Professionalism.
- Email: M.J.Barnes@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1047
- Location: 1.30 Baines
I qualified as a Midwife in 2007 and began my clinical practice as a rotational midwife. In 2009, I moved to Hull and became a full time community midwife, which included facilitating homebirths.
I progressed to Junior sister in community and on the birth centre, while undertaking an MSc degree and I began my career at the University of Leeds in 2017 as a clinical academic Midwife.
I completed my PGCERT in clinical education in 2020 to become a registered teacher with the NMC and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am currently a NICE Committee member developing recommendations for the antenatal care guideline and studying to develop my role as Professional Midwifery Advocate.
- Programme Lead (Sept 2020)
- Module Lead HECS2189
- BSc Hons Midwifery
- MSc Health Professional Studies
- PGCERT Clinical Education