Dr Hanna Aslam
- Position: Clinical Teaching Fellow
- Email: H.Aslam@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Worsely Building
In my original discipline I read for a degree in Biomedical Science and this progressed to me completing a Master’s degree in Genetics and ultimately a Doctorate from the University of Manchester. After completing my PhD, I took employment as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Kings College London, which involved the study of genes responsible for development of pioneer neurones. This post involved working at microscopic levels, dissecting spinal cords from Drosophila eggs of 2mm in length, which harnessed and developed my dexterity skills. Part of my role was to oversee the work of BSc research students. I currently work full time in a busy five-surgery practice and occasionally work for the community emergency service on weekends. I am also a validation by experience supervisor mentoring an overseas foundation dentist. I am keen on dental education and enjoy being part of a teaching team to facilitate dental student education.
- mummy/cystic encodes an enzyme required for chitin and glycan synthesis, involved in trachea, embryonic cuticle and CNS development--analysis of its role in Drosophila tracheal morphogenesis. Araujo SJ , Aslam H , Tear G, 2007
- Regulation of notch endosomal sorting and signaling by Drosophila Nedd4 family proteins. Wilkin MB, Carbery AM, Fostier M, Aslam H, Mazaleyrat SL, Higgs J, Myat A, Evans DA, Cornell M, Baron, M. Curr Biol. 2004 Dec 29;14(24):2237-44.
- Down-regulation of Notch target gene expression by Suppressor of deltex. Mazaleyrat SL, Fostier M, Wilkin MB, Aslam H, Evans DA, Cornell M, Baron M. Dev Biol. 2003 Mar 15;255(2):363-72
- Mulitiple levels of Notch signal regualtion (review). Baron M, Aslam H, Flasza M, Fostier M, Higgs JE, Mazaleyrat SL, Wilkin MB. Mol Membr Biol. 2002 Jan-Mar;19(1):27-38.
- Cellular localisation of Suppressor of deltex, a negative regulator of the Notch Signalling Pathway in Drosophila melanogaster. Aslam H, Evans D and Baron M. University Of Manchester, Graduate Symposium, Jul 2000. Winner First Prize
- Suppressor of deltex requires a ubiquitin ligase domain to down-regulate the Notch signal. Aslam H and Baron M. Annual Genetics Society of America Conference, Mar 2001.
- hSdRP - a human homologue of Drosophila Su(dx), a regulator of the Notch pathway. Flasza M, Aslam H, Poulson R, Hanby A, Canfield A.E, and Baron M. Gordon Research Conference, Italy, May 2000.
- Protein phosphatase-1 beta is required for the maintenance of muscle attachments. Raghavan S, Williams I, Aslam H, Thomas D, Szoor B, Morgan G, Gross S, Turner J, Fernandes J, VijayRaghavan K and Alphey L. Curr Biol. 2000 Mar 9;10(5):269-72
- The role of Su(dx), an E3 class Ubiquitin ligase, in Notch pathway regulation. Mazaleyrat S. L, Evans D, Aslam H, Fostier M and Baron M. Annual Genetics Society of America Conference, Mar 2000.
- Genetic Analysis of PP1 in Drosophila. Alphey L, Raghavan S, Williams I, Aslam H, Thomas D, Morgan G, Bennett D and VijayRaghavan K. Annual Genetics Society of America Conference, Mar 1998.
- B.Sc. M.Phil. Ph.D. B.Ch.D